Monument record BRK 104 - Gallows Hill, Roman (Rom)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1057 5358 (606m by 915m)|
|Civil Parish||BARKING, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
1990: DBA, fieldwalking, metal detecting and geophysical surveys - see (S3).
Rom or Early Saxon finger ring and Flavian coin metal detected in 1990 (S1).
Evaluation confirmed that the parallel cropmarks are of Roman date, and are likely to represent the flanking ditches of a road/trackway servicing the settlement of Combretuvium to the NE. Roman finds were largely confined to the ditches and area of the road/trackway (BRK 004) (S2)
2013: Excavation recorded Prehistoric to Post medieval features. A Roman trackway, flanked by diches, orientated northwest/southeast was a continuation of that found during the excavation of phase 2. The southern flanking ditch contained Roman pottery as well as saxon and medieval finds. A hoard of 36 copper alloy Follis coins dating from the reign of Diocletion (AD284-305) to Constantine 1, The Great (AD307-337) was recovered from a Ditch together with Roman pottery. From the upper fill Early Saxon and medieval pottery were recovered suggesting that the ditches remained open and the track continued in use for some time after the Roman period (S4).
See Preh, Sax, Med for further details.
- <S1> SSF50036 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Various. Hedges J W, Symonds J & Wait G A (Tempvs Reparatum) Consultancy Report, Aug 1990, ill.
- <S2> SSF51124 Unpublished document: Boulter, S.. 2002. A Record of an Archaeological Evaluation of Land at Gallows Hill, Barking, Suffolk.
- <S3> SSF54778 Unpublished document: Symonds, J.. 1990. An Archaeological Assessment of land at Gallows Hill South, Gipping Valley, Barking.
- <S3> SSF57672 Unpublished document: Symonds, J.. 1989. Archaeological Consultancy Report- Part of Gripping Valley, Barking, Mid-Suffolk.
- <S3> SSF57673 Unpublished document: Roseff, R.. 1992. Landscape History of Gallows Hill, Gipping Valley, Suffolk.
- <S3> SSF57674 Unpublished document: Hedghes, J. W.. 1992. Proof of Evidence regarding the Archaeological Resource of Gallows Hill South, Gipping Valley, Suffolk.
- <S4> SSF58051 Unpublished document: Adams, M. and Barlow, G.. 2013. An Archaeological Excavation Interim Report, Gallows Hill, Gipping Valley, Suffolk (Phase 3).
- FSF30381: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF30382: COIN (Roman - 69 AD to 96 AD)
- FSF30383: FINGER RING (Roman to Early Saxon - 43 AD to 649 AD)
- FSF45922: COIN (Roman - 284 AD to 337 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation, Land at Gallows Hill, Barking. (Ref: ) (ESF19244)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation - Gallows Hill, Gipping Valley (Phase 3) (Ref: OASIS-archaeol7-198543) (ESF25907)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation - Gallows Hill, Gipping Valley (Phase 4) (Ref: OASIS-archaeol7-355464) (ESF26743)
- Event - Survey: Fieldwalking, metal detecting, geophysical and AP surveys - Gallows Hill, Barking 1990 (ESF21721)
Record last edited
Oct 9 2017 12:49PM