Monument record BRK 104 - Gallows Hill, Saxon (Sax)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1057 5358 (606m by 915m)|
|Civil Parish||BARKING, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
1990: DBA, fieldwalking, metal detecting and geophysical surveys - see (S3).
Possible ESax brooch metal detected in 1990 (S1).
Two sunken featured buildings and Early Saxon pottery from the flanking ditches of a Roman road located in evaluation trenching in 2002 (S2).
2013: Excavation recorded Prehistoric to Post medieval features. Three Sunken Featured Buildings were identified in the northeast half of the site. All three were aligned east/west and were of similar size and form, with a post hole at the centre of the short ends. Two of the structures had evidence of central hearths comprising deposits at the very centre of the structure which were much darker than the surrounding earth and contained a significant quantity of charcoal. Saxon pottery was recovered and also residual Roman pottery. A small quantity of residual Early Bronze Age and intrusive post-medieval pottery were recovered. Common also to all three was large quantities of CBM and animal bone. Possible Saxon pits and ditches were also identified (S4).
Also Un, Preh, Rom & PMed.
- <S1> SSF50036 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Various. Hedges J W, Symonds J & Wait G A (Tempvs Reparatum) Consultancy Report, Aug 1990, ill.
- <S2> SSF51124 Unpublished document: Boulter, S.. 2002. A Record of an Archaeological Evaluation of Land at Gallows Hill, Barking, Suffolk.
- <S3> SSF54778 Unpublished document: Symonds, J.. 1990. An Archaeological Assessment of land at Gallows Hill South, Gipping Valley, Barking.
- <S3> SSF57672 Unpublished document: Symonds, J.. 1989. Archaeological Consultancy Report- Part of Gripping Valley, Barking, Mid-Suffolk.
- <S3> SSF57673 Unpublished document: Roseff, R.. 1992. Landscape History of Gallows Hill, Gipping Valley, Suffolk.
- <S3> SSF57674 Unpublished document: Hedghes, J. W.. 1992. Proof of Evidence regarding the Archaeological Resource of Gallows Hill South, Gipping Valley, Suffolk.
- <S4> SSF58051 Unpublished document: Adams, M. and Barlow, G.. 2013. An Archaeological Excavation Interim Report, Gallows Hill, Gipping Valley, Suffolk (Phase 3).
- FSF30384: POTTERY (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 649 AD)
- FSF30385: FINGER RING (Roman to Early Saxon - 43 AD to 649 AD)
- FSF45913: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF45914: POTTERY (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- FSF45915: POTTERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF45916: QUERN (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
- FSF45917: ANIMAL REMAINS (Undated)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation, Land at Gallows Hill, Barking. (Ref: ) (ESF19244)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation - Gallows Hill, Gipping Valley (Phase 3) (Ref: OASIS-archaeol7-198543) (ESF25907)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation - Gallows Hill, Gipping Valley (Phase 4) (Ref: OASIS-archaeol7-355464) (ESF26743)
- Event - Survey: Fieldwalking, metal detecting, geophysical and AP surveys - Gallows Hill, Barking 1990 (ESF21721)
Record last edited
Oct 9 2017 12:26PM