Monument record IPS 623 - Hadleigh Road (Industrial Estate), Ipswich, (Palaeolithic).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1467 4487 (40m by 47m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
pre 1928? Five handaxes, Levallois flakes and cores, blades and blade cores (Upper Palaeolithic). Of the handaxes three are flat butted cordate types, of which one is sharp, two slightly rolled. All have toad-belly patinas. Hadleigh Road, between road and River Gipping. 2 in Ipswich Museum, 3 in British Museum. Also blades etc from probable Upper Palaeolithic industry. Details in (S1). The only (small) pit shown in the area of the present estate shown on the OS maps is in the 1920s at TM 1467 4487 (between the 'Ipswich Works' and 'Handford Works' but is presumably the area where gravel was extracted as Wymer describes (S1).
See also (S2)
- <S1> SSF50084 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J.. 1985. Palaeolithic Sites of East Anglia. p225.
- <S2> SSF56333 Unpublished document: Cutler, Hannah. 2013. Understanding Late Middle Palaeolithic Neandertal Landscape-use during Short-Term Occupations in Britain.
- <S3> SSF59351 Digital archive: Wymer, J.J.. 1999. The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPs) The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPS). 22742.
- <S4> SSF59353 Digital archive: Jacobi, R.. 2014. Palaeolithic and Mesolithic Lithic Artefact (PaMELA) database. 283, 276, 275, 6955.
- <S5> SSF59354 Bibliographic reference: Billington, L, P.. 2016. Lithic Scatters and Landscape Occupation in the Late Upper Palaeolithic and Mesolithic: A Case Study from Eastern England.. P 198.
- FSF34197: FLAT BUTTED CORDATE (BOUT COUPE) HANDAXE (Late Middle Paleolithic - 52000 BC to 42000 BC)
- FSF34212: LEVALLOIS CORE (Late Middle Paleolithic - 52000 BC? to 42000 BC?)
- FSF50069: CORDATE HANDAXE (Late Middle Paleolithic - 52000 BC to 42000 BC)
- FSF50070: LEVALLOIS FLAKE (Late Middle Paleolithic - 52000 BC? to 42000 BC?)
- FSF50071: OPPOSED PLATFORM BLADE CORE (Early Upper Palaeolithic (LRJ) - 42000 BC? to 40000 BC?)
- FSF50072: BLADE? (Early Upper Palaeolithic (LRJ) - 42000 BC? to 40000 BC?)
- FSF50073: LONG BLADE (Terminal Palaeolithic (Ahrensburgian, Long Blade) - 9700 BC? to 9400 BC?)
- FSF50074: CRESTED BLADE (Terminal Palaeolithic (Ahrensburgian, Long Blade) - 9700 BC? to 9400 BC?)
- FSF50075: ANIMAL REMAINS (MIS5d to MIS3 - 113000 BC? to 27000 BC?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Sep 17 2020 5:10PM