Monument record IPS 502 - St. George's Street, Ipswich, (IAS 7017).

Please read our .

Summary

Evaluation and excavation identified features and layers of late Anglo-Saxon and early Medieval date, including buildings, numerous pits and two graves.

Location

Grid reference Centred TM 1599 4485 (52m by 49m)
Map sheet TM14SE
Civil Parish IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (16)

Full Description

2006: A trial trenching evaluation of the site provided evidence regarding the natural topography of the site and the surviving archaeological deposits. The existing level floor surface in the standing building has been attained by a combination of truncation, towards the north end of the site, and building up to the south. Archaeological features were recorded in two of the trial-trenches. A ditch in a trench located towards the eastern end of the site was parallel to the existing road (St George St.) and was found to cut a pit. The pit included 10th/11th century pottery in its fill. One of the trenches towards the southern edge of the site, in an area where the site had been made up to the existing level, had two pits cut into its base, the larger of which included medieval (12th-14th century) pottery in its fill. The evaluation has confirmed that there is potential for archaeological deposits to survive intact over the majority of the site with truncation limited to the northern end. The archaeological features encountered were consistent with the known historical facts and comprise occupation deposits dating from the Late Saxon and medieval periods (S1).

2007/2008: Excavation and Post-excavation assessment. Evidence from an archaeological evaluation and subsequent excavation at the site of the former NCP Car Park, St George's St, Ipswich. The archaeological levels were generally well preserved. The report recommends that the site is not published as such, but that the information is further presented within the ongoing thematic studies of Ipswich as a whole. One prehistoric feature was encountered, as well as prehistoric pottery. Residual Roman pottery was also recovered. The site's use increased gradually from the Middle Saxon period onward. Two main phases included at least two buildings and numerous pits associated with industrial or craft activity and other specialised functions that may be related to the site's extra-mural location. Work on the comparison of this evidence with other similar sites and finds assemblages in the region is recommended. Small finds of regional and national importance were uncovered from this period, including an iron stirrup of possible Scandinavian/Viking origin. A Saxon grave was also recorded. The site seems to have been abandoned c.1200-1250, and does not see further activity until the post-medieval period, when there is limited evidence for sparse occupation in the form of refuse disposal and poorly preserved brick structures (S2).

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <S1> Unpublished document: Boulter, S & Goffin, R. 2006. Archaeological Evaluation Report, NCP Carpark, St Georges Street, Ipswich, IPS 502.
  • <S2> Unpublished document: Everett, L & Gardner, R. 2011. Archaeological Assessment Report, NCP Car Park, St George's St, Ipswich, IPS 502 and IAS 7017.

Finds (92)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (7)

Related Events/Activities (3)

Record last edited

Jan 14 2020 11:54AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.