Monument record ONS 007 - Land off Union Road, Onehouse
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0317 5884 (499m by 420m)|
|Civil Parish||ONEHOUSE, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (7)
- ARTEFACT SCATTER (Younger Dryas to IPS: Post Medieval - 10000 BC to 1900 AD)
- LAYER (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- DITCH (Late Bronze Age to Late Iron Age - 1000 BC to 42 AD)
- PIT (Unknown date)
- PIT (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- GULLY (Unknown date)
- BOUNDARY DITCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
2009: Fieldwalking and metal detecting was carried out prior to the possible development of the site. Struck flint occurred in sparse quantities across the site, and no concentration or cluster was evident. The flint ranges in date from Mesolithic to the Bronze Age, reinforcing the sparseness of its occurrence. The burnt flint is more common in the southern half of the site. Roman brick and tile were found in sparse quantities in the eastern half of the site. The earliest pottery found is late medieval and comprises a few sherds, again sparsely distributed. The site did not have a specific archaeological potential, largely due to the lack of previous archaeological interventions. Based purely on the size of the site (15.8 hectares) archaeological remains may be anticipated. The field walking recovered sparse distributions of prehistoric, Roman and late medieval finds, and these finds are broadly contemporary with known archaeology in the area (S1).
2017: Evaluation trenches identified probable Early Iron Age ditches. Worked flint and a large assemblage of 26 sherds of Later Bronze Age to Early Iron Age pottery were recovered from one of the ditches. Two other ditches contained Early to Middle Iron Age pottery as well as worked flint and heat altered flint. Also identified were four discrete pits, three of which were undated and could possibly be natural features. One of the pits can be dated to the Bronze Age period as worked and heat altered flint, fired clay fragments and single sherd of Bronze Age pottery were recovered. A gully was identified nearby but no finds were recovered. A post-medieval boundary ditch shown on 1884 OS map was also excavated (S2).
2018: Phase 2 of the evaluation identified Bronze Age domestic activity, characterised by five pits displaying evidence of burning, and Iron Age agricultural activity in the form of several ditches. Most of the ditches were orientated north-south, or northeast-southwest, with the majority located in the north-east part of the site, however a few others were scattered sporadically across the site (S3).
- <S1> SSF53542 Unpublished document: McCall, W. and Thompson, P.. 2009. Land off Union Road, Onehouse, Stowmarket, ONS 007, Archaeological Evaluation (Field Walking).
- <S2> SSF57866 Unpublished document: Picard, S.. 2017. Archaeological Evaluation, Land South of Union Road, Onehouse, Stowmarket, Suffolk.
- <S3> SSF58757 Unpublished document: Douglas, C.. 2018. Archaeological Excavation Report: Land South of Union Road, Phase 2, Onehouse & Stowmarket.
- FSF34688: BLADE (Bronze Age - 2350 BC? to 701 BC?)
- FSF34689: RETOUCHED BLADE (Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 2351 BC?)
- FSF34690: POTTERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF34691: BRICK (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF34692: TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF34693: BURNT FLINT (Unknown date)
- FSF45140: POTTERY (Early Bronze Age to Late Iron Age - 2350 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF45141: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF45142: FIRED CLAY (Unknown date)
- FSF45143: FLAKE (Early Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 3001 BC?)
- FSF45144: BUTCHERED ANIMAL REMAINS (Undated)
- FSF45145: ANIMAL REMAINS (Undated)
- FSF48327: POTTERY (Early Bronze Age to Late Iron Age - 2350 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF51014: BLADE (Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 2351 BC?)
- FSF51015: BLADE (Star Carr Type Mesolithic to Late Neolithic - 9000 BC? to 2351 BC?)
- FSF51016: SIDE AND END SCRAPER (Early Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 3001 BC?)
- FSF51017: SIDE SCRAPER (Early Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 3001 BC?)
- FSF51018: THUMB NAIL SCRAPER (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC? to 701 BC?)
- FSF51019: SCRAPER (TOOL) (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC? to 701 BC?)
- FSF51020: FLAKE (Bronze Age - 2350 BC? to 701 BC?)
- FSF51021: FLAKE (Middle Iron Age - 400 BC? to 101 BC?)
- FSF51022: FLAKE (Late Bronze Age to Early Iron Age - 1000 BC? to 401 BC?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (6)
- Event - Interpretation: Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods (ESF26899)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation - Land south of Union Road Phase , Onehouse (Ref: OASSI-suffolka1-301882) (ESF25979)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation - Land South Union Road, Onehouse, Stowmarket (Ref: OASIS- suffolka1-274223) (ESF25400)
- Event - Intervention: Fieldwalking Survey - Land off Union Road, Onehouse (Ref: OASIS-archaeol7-77542) (ESF20554)
- Event - Survey: Geophysical Survey: Land off Union Road, Onehouse, Stowmarket (Ref: OASIS-tigergeo1-246308) (ESF23743)
- Event - Survey: Metal Detecting Survey - Land off Union Road, Onehouse (ESF24153)
Record last edited
May 15 2020 10:26AM