Farmstead record MTF 152 - Farmstead: Rookery Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2942 8118 (127m by 118m)|
|Civil Parish||METFIELD, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (7)
- BARN (16th century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
- CART SHED (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- AGRICULTURAL BUILDING (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- TACK ROOM (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- FARMHOUSE (16th century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (16th century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD FULL PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
16th C timber-framed and weatherboarded barn of 4 bays, one of which was used as a stable with a 1st floor above. There is also evidence of diamond mullion windows in this section of the barn. The original queen strut roof remains mainly in tact. A cartlodge was added at one end during the 19th C and a store building was also constructed adjacent to the barn. A 19th C clay lump store also stands sepearately at the site (S1).
Rookery Farm, Metfield. 16th century farmstead and farmhouse. Regular courtyard full plan formed by working agricultural buildings with additional detached elements. The farmhouse is attached to the agricultural range. Significant loss (over 50%) of the traditional farm buildings. Located within an isolated position (S2-7).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- --- SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- --- SSF59895 Map: 1841. Metfield Tithe Map.
- --- SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- --- SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- --- SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- --- SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S1> SSF55043 Unpublished document: WCP. 2012. Historic Building Analysis: Barn at Rookery Farm, Honeypot Lane, Metfield.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jan 5 2021 4:25PM