Monument record IPS 453 - Land between Edward Close & Bramford Road, Rear of 1-25 Kingston Road, Ipswich.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 145 455 (84m by 84m)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
2004: Evaluation, Ipswich, Land between Edward Close & Bramford Rd. A desktop and trial trenching evaluation of a 0.38 hectare plot of land revealed limited evidence for prehistoric (Late Neolithic/Early Bronze Age) early medieval and post-medieval activity (19th/20 century). A single pit of Late Neolithic/Early Bronze Age date was recorded with dating evidence provided by worked flint and ceramic finds recovered from its fill. Two medieval ditches were identified towards the southern edge of the site and may have been associated with activity/occupation on the north side of the Bramford Road which is itself a longestablished route. Post-medieval activity included evidence for a quarry pit known from mid 19th-20th century maps, while a standing earthwork appears to coincide with an enigmatic circular structure also known from the early maps. This has tentatively been interpreted as a possible garden feature (fountain) or a lime kiln. Other features were thought to be related to activity associated with a group of buildings constructed on the site during the later 19th century.
2004: Monitoring, The monitoring works failed to identify further archaeological deposits other than a previously recorded quarry pit and other later post-medieval (20th century) features.
- FSF43875: POTTERY (Late Neolithic - 3000 BC to 2351 BC)
- FSF43876: POTTERY (12th century - 1100 AD to 1199 AD)
- FSF43877: POTTERY (13th century - 1200 AD to 1299 AD)
- FSF43878: POTTERY (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF43879: BLADE (Late Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 3000 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF43880: FLAKE (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF43881: SCRAPER (TOOL) (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF43882: ANIMAL REMAINS (Undated)
- FSF43883: BURNT FLINT (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 23 2017 1:54PM