Monument record SUT 038 - Group of round barrows, Sutton Hoo; Sutton Mounts (Neo)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 288 487 (228m by 385m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||SUTTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Group of Round Barrows, Sutton Hoo.
Excavations by P Ashbee under Mound 1 (see SUT 004) produced plain wares and a possible Grooved Ware sherd, also worked flint, including a leaf-shaped arrowhead and scrapers (S1)(S2).
Excavations by I Longworth and I Kinnes to the west of Mound 5 (see SUT 008) produced evidence of post-holes and a small pit. Finds included plain wares, Peterborough Ware (Ebbsfleet/Early Mortlake), and Grooved Ware, also worked flints (S3).
Excavations by M Carver, outside the scheduled area on the east side, produced evidence of shallow pits (S2).
IPSMG card (S4) refers to Neo or BA finds collected from mound area and includes `Also one horn core ? goat, and limb bone'. This latter is a mislocation of SUT 043.
- <S1> SSF2435 (No record type): Bruce Mitford R, The Sutton Hoo Ship Burial, 1, 1975, 29-30.
- <M1> SSF37335 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S2> SSF5689 (No record type): Ellison A, Bull Sutton Hoo Res Comm 4, 1986, 38-39.
- <S3> SSF10607 (No record type): Longworth, I.H. & Kinnes, I.A.. Longworth I H and Kinnes I A, Sutton Hoo Excavations 1966, 1968-1970, Brit Mus Occ Paper 23, 1980.
- <S4> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1949-177.
- <S5> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S6> SSF50064 Unpublished document: Survey. Topographic of site & surrounding area, University of York, May 1995.
- <S7> SSF50106 Photograph: Air Photographs. NAU, TM 288 487, JGB 8-12, 20 July 1992.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by Ashbee P (Ref: Ashbee P) (ESF14976)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by Carver M (Ref: Carver M) (ESF16158)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by Longworth I and Kinnes I (Ref: Longworth I and Kinnes I) (ESF16018)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by Longworth I and Kinnes I (Ref: Longworth I and Kinnes I) (ESF16128)
Record last edited
Mar 9 2012 3:14PM