Monument record BRH 001 - Broomfield Pit, Barham, (Palaeolithic).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 120 518 (550m by 888m)|
|Civil Parish||BARHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||CLAYDON, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
31 Oct, 1966: Tongue-shaped Acheulean hand axe from the valley gravels, Broomfield Pit, Barham. This is the first specimen of its age so far as is known from this site. Reported (and presumably retained) by H E P Spencer, 43 Benacre Road, Ipswich, (S2).
Also pre 1966?: Also a crude handaxe in ipswich Museum, four flakes and two Levallois flakes, (S3, S4).
Jacobi identifies a Terminal Upper Palaeolithic componenet of a blade core, blades and long blades, (S5, S6).
Wymer notes that a human femur from this pit is in Ipswich Museum. It is unclear the exact provenance of the artefacts (see other adjacent pits, with overlapping names) and human and faunal remains, the gravels are clearly of various ages, (S4).
Close to (and associated with by Wymer) Eastall's Pit in Barham (see BRH 003 and BRH 023).
Area of pit after Mowat, (S7).
Probably the origin of items from Claydon, (S4, S3).
Also Iron Age pottery from same pit - see BRH 005.
- <S1> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. 1966-125 (flakes), also others.
- <S2> SSF55953 Article in serial: Owles, E. J. and N. Smedley. 1966. Archaeology in Suffolk, 1966. XXX.3, pp. 275–283..
- <S3> SSF50084 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J.. 1985. Palaeolithic Sites of East Anglia. 206 & 378.
- <S4> SSF59351 Digital archive: Wymer, J.J.. 1999. The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPs) The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPS). 22730, 22733.
- <S5> SSF59354 Bibliographic reference: Billington, L, P.. 2016. Lithic Scatters and Landscape Occupation in the Late Upper Palaeolithic and Mesolithic: A Case Study from Eastern England.. P 163.
- <S6> SSF59353 Digital archive: Jacobi, R.. 2014. Palaeolithic and Mesolithic Lithic Artefact (PaMELA) database. 253, 6950, 6951.
- <S7> SSF19496 Unpublished document: Mowat, R.. 1976. SAU, Mowat R, site reports, BRH 023, 1976.
- <S8> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- FSF14399: HANDAXE (Acheulean - 531000 BC? to 298000 BC?)
- FSF33095: HUMAN REMAINS (Palaeolithic - 1000000 BC? to 9400 BC?)
- FSF33097: ANIMAL REMAINS (Pleistocene General - 2578000 BC? to 9700 BC?)
- FSF49867: LONG BLADE CORE (Terminal Palaeolithic (Ahrensburgian, Long Blade) - 9700 BC to 9400 BC)
- FSF49868: LONG BLADE (Terminal Palaeolithic (Ahrensburgian, Long Blade) - 9700 BC to 9400 BC)
- FSF49869: BLADE (Terminal Palaeolithic (Ahrensburgian, Long Blade) - 9700 BC to 9400 BC)
- FSF49887: FLAKE (Palaeolithic - 1000000 BC? to 9400 BC?)
- FSF49888: LEVALLOIS FLAKE (Early Middle Palaeolithic - 323000 BC? to 178000 BC?)
- FSF52198: LEVALLOIS CORE (Early Middle Palaeolithic - 323000 BC? to 178000 BC?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Jun 15 2021 1:40PM