Monument record IPS 005 - Bolton & Co Brickyard, Henley Road, Ipswich, (IAS 8009), (Mesolithic).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 153 462 (100m by 100m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
c.1909-c.1938: Monitoring by Moir revealed occupation evidence, worked flint excavated by J R Moir, some marked "lower floor" at depth of 12 feet or more, some 2 feet deep associated with hazel and oak stakes (? Structure) and calcined flint. (S1). Six cores, 14 unretouched blades/flakes, 5 scrapers, 3 others (S2). Two tranchet axes, one tranchet axe sharpening flake, 5 cores, 5 unretouched blades, 9 scrapers, hammerstone (S3). Two tranchet axes, 2 cores, 2 scrapers, 3 microliths (S4).
See also (S5-S9).
See also IPS 010 - be wary of confusion over identification and event attribution.
- --- SSF11433 Article in serial: Moir J R. 1924. A Series of Solutré Blades from Suffolk and Cambridgeshire.
- --- SSF50068 Index: Suffolk Archaeology Unit. 1974. SAU index card and Archive. IAS 8009.
- --- SSF55934 Index: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. 1974. Ipswich Archaeological Survey Card Index (digital version).. IAS 8009.
- <S1> SSF11430 Article in serial: Moir J R. 1925. Upper Palæolithic Man in East Anglia. Moir J R, PPSEA, 1925, 5, 232-247 (figs).
- <S2> SSF1305 Source Unchecked: 1917. BM, 1917.6.4. BM, 1917.6.4.
- <S3> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1944-71-1.
- <S4> SSF11427 Article in serial: Moir J R. 1917. On Some Human and Animal Bones, etc Discovered in Two Ancient Occupation-Levels in a Small Valley in Ipswich,.
- <S6> SSF6817 Source Unchecked: Geological Survey Museum, M.1.24340 etc. Geol Survey Mus, M.1.24340 etc.
- <S7> SSF59354 Unpublished document: Billington, L, P.. 2016. Lithic Scatters and Landscape Occupation in the Late Upper Palaeolithic and Mesolithic: A Case Study from Eastern England.. M 1030.
- <S8> SSF59353 Digital archive: Jacobi, R.. 2014. Palaeolithic and Mesolithic Lithic Artefact (PaMELA) database. 11302, 11303, 11332, 11466, 11467.
- <S9> SSF23378 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J. & Bonsall, C.J.. 1977. Gazetteer of Mesolithic sites in England and Wales, CBA Research Report 20. 258.
- FSF42433: CORE (Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 4000 BC?)
- FSF42434: BLADE (Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 4000 BC?)
- FSF42435: SCRAPER (TOOL) (Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 4000 BC?)
- FSF50033: TRANCHET FLAKE (Mesolithic - 9000 BC to 4000 BC)
- FSF50034: FLAKE (Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 4000 BC?)
- FSF50035: HAMMERSTONE (Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 4000 BC?)
- FSF626: MICROLITH (Mesolithic - 9000 BC to 4000 BC)
- FSF627: TRANCHET AXEHEAD (Early Mesolithic - 9000 BC to 8000 BC)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Mar 6 2020 1:29PM