Monument record IPS 157 - Augustinian Priory, Christchurch Park, Ipswich, SPECULATIVE.

Please read our .


Priory of the Holy Trinity, said to be mainly between Christchurch Mansion and St Margaret's Church.


Grid reference Centred TM 166 449 (132m by 176m)
Map sheet TM14SE


Type and Period (8)

Full Description

Priory of the Holy Trinity, said to be mainly between Christchurch Mansion and St Margaret's Church.
Foundation of Austin Canons, established ? 1162. Monastery rebuilt 1194 after fire. Well endowed. Suppressed 1536/1537 (S3).

1980: An Ipswich Church of the Holy Trinity is mentioned in the Domesday Book. Small excavation 1980 in Mansion buttery, stub of priory wall and remains of flagstone floor found.

1990: AP shows Post Medieval garden feature plus ?faint parchmarks of buried walling ? (S1).

2006: Evaluation on groundworks associated with the restoration of Christchurch Park in 2006. A total of eleven medieval inhumation burials were recorded, 10 located immediately to the west of St Margaret's churchyard wall. The distribution of the burials suggests that the original churchyard wall extended at least 10m to the west of the present boundary wall. One outlying grave to the north may be associated with the former priory rather than St Margaret's church. The remains of three possible medieval wall foundations were also exposed, possibly representing remains of the priory (S2).

2008: Watching Brief.

[letter, number] refers to mentions in the Suffolk Council Archaeological Service Ipswich Documentary Card index, (S7).
Holy trinity priory (and lands of), 1154

For further information see (S9)

A small portion of ancient walling exists here circa eight metres long and 1.5 metres high, built of flint, pebbles, and liberally bolstered with brick rubble. The lower part of the wall seems to be original, as it consists of several courses of large pebbles and flints set in mortar without any evidence of later repair. (S10)

"The site of a portion of wall of Holy Trinity Priory, situated in Bolton Lane. This wall was demolished when the houses were
built". (S12)

Sources/Archives (12)

  • <S1> (No record type): NAU, AP, TM1645/B/GFB3, August 1990.
  • <S2> Unpublished document: Wessex Archaeology. 2008. Christchurch Park Restoration Project, Ipswich, Suffolk. Archaeological Watching Brief.
  • <S3> Bibliographic reference: Victoria County History of Suffolk (Vol I 1911; Vol II 1907). VCH Suffolk, 2, 103.
  • <S4> (No record type): Excavation File:.
  • <S5> Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1920-54.93 (key).
  • <S6> (No record type): AP: NAU, TM1645/B/GFB3.
  • <S7> Index: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Ipswich Documentary Card index.
  • <S8> Unpublished document: IPSMG. Ipswich Museum Extension Books.
  • <S9> Web Page: Loon, Borin van. 2019. Withypoll memorials.
  • <S10> Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 WMJ 22-OCT-50.
  • <S11> Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
  • <S12> Personal Correspondence: Various. Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comment. Mr F Woolnough Curator and Secretary of Ipswich Museum.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (12)

Record last edited

Aug 25 2021 3:15PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.