Monument record MNL 009 - Phillips I Site, Wilde Street, Mildenhall, (Mesolithic)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7022 7919 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||MILDENHALL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
1963: TL 702 792, same grid reference as used for Bronze Age finds and excavation, see (S4). Mesolithic core, 2 blade scrapers, a burin spall and about 150 flakes of various sizes with a characteristic brown patina, came from a black organic stratum about 6 inches thick below an occupation site (Col T C Kelly, S1, S3). This black organic layer presumably is stratum 2 (peat) of Kelly's excavation which underlies the Bronze Age horizon, a streaked sand horizon and a white sand stratum. NGR taken from site plan (S2). Kelly also lists 2 microliths from the Bronze Age `cultural stratum' (S2). Photos, letters & various manuscripts relating to pottery and flints from Kelly's Phillips site excavations in Cambridge University Museum (S5).
See also Bronze Age record.
Neither Billington (S6), Jacobi (S7) nor Wymer and Bonsall (S8) note these finds as Mesolithic. However (according to the metadata associated with this HER record) Colin Pendleton of SCCAS viewed this material as Mesolithic c. 2009.
- <S1> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 964-10, 1964.
- <S2> SSF10177 Article in serial: Kelly Col T C. 1967. A Series of Late Middle Bronze Age sites, Wilde Street, Mildenhall. PSIA, 31, 1967, (1),47-50.
- <S3> SSF56120 Article in serial: Owles, E. J. and N. Smedley. 1964. Archaeology in Suffolk, 1964. XXX.1, pp. 116–123..
- <S4> SSF55969 Article in serial: Owles, E. & Smedley, N.. 1963. Archaeology in Suffolk, 1963. XXIX 3.
- <S5> SSF3079 Unpublished document: Cambridge University Museum,. Suffolk Archive. Cambridge University Museum, Ms, Suffolk archive.
- <S6> SSF59354 Bibliographic reference: Billington, L, P.. 2016. Lithic Scatters and Landscape Occupation in the Late Upper Palaeolithic and Mesolithic: A Case Study from Eastern England.. Negative Reference.
- <S7> SSF59353 Digital archive: Jacobi, R.. 2014. Palaeolithic and Mesolithic Lithic Artefact (PaMELA) database. Negative Reference.
- <S8> SSF23378 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J. & Bonsall, C.J.. 1977. Gazetteer of Mesolithic sites in England and Wales, CBA Research Report 20. Negative Reference.
- <S9> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- FSF50817: SCRAPER (TOOL) (Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 4000 BC?)
- FSF50818: FLAKE (Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 4000 BC?)
- FSF50819: BLADE (Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 4000 BC?)
- FSF5632: CORE (Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 4000 BC?)
- FSF5633: MICROLITH (Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 4000 BC?)
- FSF5634: BURIN (Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 4000 BC?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Oct 27 2021 10:41AM