Monument record MNL 065 - Skelton's Drove, Beck Row. (Roman)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 6840 7848 (330m by 311m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||MILDENHALL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||Beck Row, Holywell Row and Kenny Hill, Forest Heath, Suffolk|
Type and Period (3)
Scatter of Roman pottery, tiles, bones and shell, also single coin, coin hoard and fragments of two pewter plates.
1961: Numerous sherds, mainly C4, including flanged grey bowls, colour-coated sherds, `large mortaria with white fabric and wide flanges and rouletting, pink gritted ware, a rouletted castor bowl, dotted ware, tiles (flat & roof), oyster shells and a large iron hook with ring'. Recorded by Lady G Briscoe, retained by MIHLM (S1, S11, S8, S10).
1972:`A sherd of Samian ware and some grey-ware was found during investigation' (S2).
1976: v(S3). Bronze coin with emperor with radiate crown, pottery and 1 sieve/colander of fired clay,(S3,S4). Formerly recorded as MNL 110.
1980: Possible coin hoard (not seen) of bronze sestertii reported to SAU (JP)(S5). Spread coin hoard confirmed, bronze & silver coins found with metal detector with remains of pottery vessel containing some coins, in 1990. He also excavated Rom rubbish pit in this field circa 1980, which was sunk into burnt black area, full of decorated beaker sherds - see Bronze Age record. He also located, ?and excavated, a Roman rubbish pit in a low at circa. Between 1500 and 2000 Roman coins from this site, from Vespasian to Constantine II - most silver coins were Hadrian plus a lot of Carausius. Further finds include silver duck brooches with inlaid enamel, 2 (or more?) hollow busts with 2 rivet holes (for mounting on rod/pole?). Roman pottery is also said to extend into the (asparagus) field to the South West. Only `odd coins' are said to come from site to North, MNL 096. Fine Roman pottery found, details not available (S8).
Seven fragments of two (?) larger pewter plates, one decorated with leaf design - see file for drawings. Found with a metal detector (S6). Formerly recorded as MNL 191.
1987: Fieldwalking for Fenland Survey on two South West fields suggested main concentration Fields to North East not cultivated (S9). See also, MNL 096.
From NHRE record:
Tl 68407856. A sherd of Samian ware and some grey-ware was found during investigation. (S10)
See Not to publish tab for further information
- <S1> SSF56006 Article in serial: Smedley, N. and E. J. Owles. 1961. Archaeology in Suffolk, 1961. XXIX.1, pp. 91–102..
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL67NE6.
- <S4> SSF18942 Source Unchecked: SAU. AR 28. SAU, AR 28.
- <S5> SSF22158 Source Unchecked: Tilbrook D. 1980. Unknown Source. Tilbrook D, 1980.
- <S6> SSF11281 Museum Record Card: MIHLM. 1981. card 81.30. MIHLM, card 81.30, 1981.
- <S7> SSF20067 Source Unchecked: Pendleton C & Hardy M. 1987. Unknown Source. SAU, Pendleton C & Hardy M, 1987.
- <S8> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Romano British, 1961.
- <S9> SSF6326 Excavation archive: Pendleton C. 1990. Fenland Survey Archive.
- <S10> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 NKB 15-MAR-72.
- <S11> SSF1542 Article in serial: M. D. Cra'ster, Grace Briscoe, C. F. Tebbutt and D. F. Renn. 1962. Archaeological Notes..
- <S12> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- FSF11128: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF11129: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF11130: POTTERY SAMIAN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF11131: TILE (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF11132: COIN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF11133: COIN HOARD (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF11134: PLATE (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF11135: VESSEL (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF11136: POTTERY COLOUR COATED (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF11137: ROOF TILE (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF11138: UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF11139: COLANDER (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF11140: COIN HOARD (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF11141: HOARD (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF11142: COIN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF11143: PLATE BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Dec 10 2020 1:29PM