Monument record COG 029 - Land adjacent to Carsons Drive
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8971 4036 (374m by 658m)|
|Civil Parish||GREAT CORNARD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (7)
2007: Ariel photographic assessment identified traces of ridge and furrow, a scatter of possible pits which may or may not be natural andrecent field boundaries and a possible spring. Photographs indicate geological disturbance in the form of patterned ground resulting from periglacial action which may mask the appearance of archaeological features (S2).
2009: Evaluation of 79 linear trenches were excavated across the development area. A small number of archaeological features were encountered including 4 pits, a large hollow possibly forming the remnant of a prehistoric pond barrow, post-medieval boundary features and debris associated with post-medieval tile production. Although there is some evidence to suggest that the highest areas of the undulating site had suffered erosion of the land surface due to ploughing, most of the site was under sufficient topsoil and or subsoil coverage to prevent significant medieval or later plough damage (S1).
- --- SSF58617 Article in serial: Minter, F. and Saunders, A.. 2018. Archaeology in Suffolk 2017, Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History.
- <S1> SSF53588 Unpublished document: Muldowney, E.. 2009. Archaeological Evaluation Report, Land adjacent to Carsons Drive, Great Cornard, COG 029.
- <S2> SSF58358 Unpublished document: Air Photo Services (Rog Palmer). 2007. Aerial Photographic Assessment, Land east of Great Cornard, Area centred TL896403, Suffolk.
- FSF34728: ANIMAL REMAINS (Unknown date)
- FSF34729: TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF34730: POTTERY (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
- FSF34731: POTTERY (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF34732: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF34733: COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF34734: SPEARHEAD (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
- FSF34735: COIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Survey: Aerial Photographic Assessment - Land East of Great Cornard (ESF26104)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation - Land adjacent to Carsons Drive, Great Cornard (Ref: OASIS-suffolkc1-70322) (ESF20591)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation - Land adjacent to Carsons Drive, Great Cornard (Ref: OASIS-archaeol7-273541) (ESF25390)
Record last edited
Oct 25 2022 12:06PM