Monument record IXW 060 - Two Roman wells and a possible Roman structure identifed at Mulley's Garage, High Street.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 932 705 (28m by 34m)|
|Civil Parish||IXWORTH, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (8)
March 2009: Evaluation trenching revealed Roman pits, post holes and an layer that produced many sherds of 3rd to 4th century date. The eastern and southern limits of this layer were uncovered during the excavation stage. The evaluation trenches also uncovered a well which was constructed from flint cobbles in a yellow lime mortar and small rectangular bricks set into mortar. Post-Medieval and Roman brick and tile were recovered from the well (S1).
March-April 2009: The excavation area was stripped to reveal eighteen features ranging in date from the 2nd Century to the post-medieval period. Two wells provided a large proportion of the finds assemblage including a copper alloy ring with a mounted intaglio and sherds of Central Gaulish Samian ware. The pottery assemblage from the wells has a strong emphasis towards table wares. Evidence of structural activity was observed with a large, square shaped posthole dated to the Roman period. This was interpreted as the rear of a building that may have fronted onto the original high street of Ixworth. One of the wells was determined to have been contemporary with the structure after producing a large pottery assemblage that was well dated to the mid-2nd century - mid 3rd century. The second well produced 761 sherds with the same date range of mid-2nd - mid 3rd century. In general the remaining features within the development area were attributed to activity taking place towards the rear of structures that faced on to the High Street during the Roman period (S1).
- <S1> SSF56089 Unpublished document: Beverton, A, V. 2011. Archaeological Evaluation and Excavation Report: Mulley's Garage, Ixworth.
- FSF40175: NAIL (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF40176: POTTERY NENE VALLEY (Roman - 200 AD to 400 AD)
- FSF40177: POTTERY SAMIAN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF40178: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF40179: AMPHORA (Roman - 100 AD to 300 AD)
- FSF40180: MORTARIUM (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF40181: POTTERY COLCHESTER (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF40182: POTTERY (16th century to 18th century - 1500 AD to 1799 AD)
- FSF40183: TEGULA (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF40184: IMBREX (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF40185: BRICK (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF40186: TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF40187: LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC to 701 BC)
- FSF40188: QUERN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF40189: ANIMAL REMAINS (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF40190: COIN (Roman - 200 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF40191: INTAGLIO (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF40193: PIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF40194: TWEEZERS (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF40195: JETTON (16th century to 17th century - 1500 AD to 1650 AD)
- FSF40196: STRAP FITTING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF40197: BEAD (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Mar 1 2016 10:29AM