Monument record BCG 005 - Multi-period site, RAF Wattisham, (Roman-Medieval).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0327 5130 (28m by 55m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||GREAT BRICETT, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (7)
1993: Evaluation revealed a spread of flints which possibly formed part of a cobbled surface or building platform, along with medieval pottery and abraded Roman rooftile. There was also a single post-hole with clay packing and a prominent post-pipe. A Roman ditch was seen in both Trench 3 and 4. An undated ditch was seen in Trench 1, which was heavily disturbed. Medieval pottery was found across the site (S1).
1993: Excavation revealed evidence of activity from the prehistoric period to the medieval period. Residual Neolithic pottery was recovered from Bronze Age and Medieval features. A gently curving Early Bronze Age slot was the earliest feature. Further evidence of Roman ditches was seen (previously identified during the evaluation). The ceramic finds of Roman date included a tamped Samian base (c. 120-150) and a base sherd from the late 2nd or early 3rd centuries. 50 sherds of Roman pottery were recovered from the north to south orientated ditch. The majority of features dated to the 12th-13th centuries: 4 post-holes, small pit, a shallow linear depression and the linear cobbled surface with its associated depression. The cobbles surface and their underlying depression could represent a pathway (S2).
February 1994: Monitoring of an area immediately south of the 1993 excavation which was stripped by mechanical excavator revealed significant quantities of Roman pottery and a Roman ditch. Unstratified finds recovered from the subsoil around the ditch included a possible Iron Age sherd, Roman pottery and Medieval pottery. Another ditch was identified during monitoring of a footing trench, which was probably backfilled in the 2nd century AD (S3).
- <S1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file.
- <S1> SSF50829 Unpublished document: Boulter, S.. 1993. Archaeological Evaluation Report, RAF Wattisham Housing Development Plan, Bricett Gt.
- <S2> SSF50830 Unpublished document: Boulter, S.. 1993. Archaeological Excavation Report, A.A.C Wattisham, Great Bricett.
- <S3> SSF50886 Unpublished document: Boulter, S.. 1994. Archaeological Monitoring Report, A.A.C. Wattisham Housing Project, Bricett Gt.
- <S4> SSF55357 Article in serial: Martin, E.A., Pendleton, C. & Plouviez, J.. 1995. Archaeology in Suffolk 1994. XXXVIII (3).
- <S5> SSF59348 Personal Correspondence: Cutler, Hannah. 2019. Personal Observations as part of the Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods project.
- FSF13962: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF27131: QUERN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF27132: METAL WORKING DEBRIS (Undated)
- FSF27137: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF27138: TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF27139: QUERN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF48208: FIRED CLAY (Unknown date)
- FSF48209: ANIMAL REMAINS (Unknown date)
- FSF48210: POTTERY SAMIAN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF48211: FLAKE (Star Carr Type Mesolithic to Late Neolithic - 9000 BC? to 2351 BC?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation - RAF Wattisham, Great Bricett (ESF26383)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation, RAF Wattisham, Great Bricett (ESF26384)
- Event - Survey: Fieldwalking Survey - RAF Wattisham, Great Bricett (ESF26381)
- Event - Intervention: Monitoring, RAF Wattisham, Great Bricett (ESF26385)
Record last edited
Nov 21 2019 2:32PM