Monument record IPS 585 - 85-87 Fore Street, Ipswich, (IAS 6106)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1683 4418 (26m by 42m)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (17)
- LAYER (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- PIT (IPS: Early Late Saxon - 850 AD to 900 AD)
- PIT (IPS: Early Late Saxon to IPS: Middle Late Saxon - 900 AD to 1000 AD)
- STAKE HOLE (IPS: Middle Late Saxon to 13th century - 1000 AD to 1200 AD)
- POST HOLE (IPS: Middle Late Saxon to 13th century - 1000 AD to 1200 AD)
- PIT (15th century to IPS: Late Medieval Transitional - 1450 AD to 1600 AD)
- CELLAR (15th century to IPS: Late Medieval Transitional - 1450 AD to 1600 AD)
- SOAKAWAY (17th century to IPS: Post Medieval - 1600 AD to 1900 AD)
- POST HOLE (Undated)
- PIT (Early Saxon to IPS: Early Late Saxon - 410 AD to 900 AD)
- PIT (IPS: Middle Late Saxon to Unknown - 1000 AD)
- PIT (Early Saxon to 13th century - 410 AD? to 1299 AD)
- PIT (Early Saxon to 17th century - 410 AD? to 1699 AD)
- WALL (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- SOAKAWAY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BURIAL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- STRUCTURE (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
1990: Excavation, finds from Saxon to Post-Medieval. Including sunken featured buildings (S1).
2007: A trial trench was carried out at the above site in advance of a proposal to construct student accommodation. The southern part of the site was found to have seen heavy truncation due to 19th cellaring along the Fore Street frontage. Significant, but slightly less substantial truncation was encountered in much of the rest of the site, with the exception of an area approximately 12m deep along the northern frontage. Here relatively shallow coherent medieval soil-like deposits were identified at c. 4.2 AOD (less than 1m below existing ground level). Given that evidence for Saxon occupation was recorded in an earlier excavation in 1990 it is presumed that similar well-preserved remains may lay in this part of the site sealed beneath the medieval deposits. Excavation of an area along the northern frontage was therefore recommended, in the event that construction mitigation is not sufficient to ensure the preservation of these deposits (S2).
Post 2007: Excavation was undertaken prior to development for planning application IP/07/00970. A total of 13 burials orientated E-W were excavated in the northern part of the site, ceasing 15m to the south of the northern site edge. They were poorly preserved, having seen some vertical truncation in the past, although they were encountered 1.5m below the current ground level. Although undated, burials were suggested to have related to St Clement's Church. A change in land use was indicated by a series of five cess pits which cut many of the graves. Find from them suggest they were in use into the last quarter of the 16th century. A large rectangular structure was recorded at least 3.5 long x 1.5 wide x 0.5m deep with 13 post/pile settings cut into it's base. The cess pits may have been on communal ground between properties, or may relate to a tenement on Fore Street. Church land may have been sold off to accommodate the rapid development of a wealthy merchant suburb at the onset of the 17th century (S6).
Excavation plans and mapinfo on record. Report waiting, assumed because of funding issues. Archive deposited with SCCAS in 2019 - no post-excavation work undertaken.
- <S1> SSF56222 Unpublished document: Wade, K. 2014. Ipswich Archive Site Summaries: Site name: 85-87 Fore Street.
- <S2> SSF50765 Unpublished document: Gardner, R.. 2007. Archaeological Evaluation Report, 85-87 Fore Street, Ipswich, IPS 585, IAS 6101.
- <S3> SSF55934 Index: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. 1974. Ipswich Archaeological Survey Card Index (digital version).. IAS 61016.
- <S4> SSF50068 Index: Suffolk Archaeology Unit. 1974. SAU index card and Archive. IAS 6106.
- <S5> SSF57563 Index: IPSMG. 2009. Ipswich Museum renumbered Ipswich archive. R.2009.71.
- <S6> SSF59186 Article in serial: 2009. Gardner, R 'Ipswich, 85-7 Fore Street' PSIAH. XLII (1) 2009.
- FSF41057: POTTERY IPSWICH (Middle Saxon to IPS: Early Late Saxon - 650 AD to 850 AD)
- FSF41058: POTTERY THETFORD (IPS: Early Late Saxon to 12th century - 850 AD to 1100 AD)
- FSF41059: POTTERY ST NEOTS (IPS: Early Late Saxon to 13th century - 900 AD to 1200 AD)
- FSF41060: POTTERY (12th century to 14th century - 1100 AD to 1399 AD)
- FSF41061: POTTERY (IPS: Middle Late Saxon to 12th century - 1000 AD to 1199 AD)
- FSF41062: FIRED CLAY (Undated)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (5)
- Parent of: Building 0004 (Ipswich UAD child record) (IPS 1136)
- Parent of: Building 0007 (Ipswich UAD child record) (IPS 1559)
- Parent of: Building 0027 (Ipswich UAD child record) (IPS 1134)
- Parent of: Building 0033 (Ipswich UAD child record) (IPS 1135)
- Parent of: Well 0004 (Ipswich UAD child record) (IPS 1261)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Intervention: Borehole Survey, 85-87 Fore Street, Ipswich, (IAS 6106) (ESF24999)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation, 85-87 Fore Street, Ipswich, (IAS 6106). (Ref: OASIS-suffolkc1-32008) (ESF20494)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation, 85-87 Fore Street, Ipswich, (IAS 6106). (ESF23833)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation, 85-87 Fore Street, Ipswich. (IAS 6106). (ESF23832)
Record last edited
Aug 17 2021 9:33AM