Monument record MNL 002 - High Lodge, Mildenhall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7391 7540 (117m by 136m)|
|Civil Parish||MILDENHALL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Palaeolithic lake-side living site. It has long been the focus of Palaeolithic investigation and there is a history of controversy regarding its chronology and geology.
Two series of artefacts are present:
1: Scrapers, denticulates, flakes and cores.
2: Slightly derived handaxes. Twisted ovates are present but in very small amounts.
Fauna includes Straight tusked elephant, Rhinoceros, Horse, Deer and Bovids.
Excellent summary of current thinking by Pettitt and White 2012 (S12)
19th century discovered as a result of brick-earth extraction in the by Simeon Fenton of Mildenhall. Large number of stray finds.
1876: Skertchly appears to have been the first person to record the geological sequence in about 1876.
1920s: Excavated in 1920 by Professor Marr et al).
1962: Excavations for British Museum by Sieveking
1988: Excavations showed that lacustrine clays of Cromerian (Pres MIS12) date (with an in situ flake industry) were transported, distorted and dumped on top of Anglian till and then overlain by gravels and sands deposited in a warm phase of the Anglian, topped by soliflucted till of another cold phase of the Anglian glaciation. The gravels contained derived hand axes.
1998: Rapid earthwork survey recorded pits and extensive quarrying, as marked on OS maps, 2nd edition 1904 OS shows the area as heathland where large pits are illustrated (S10)
There is a typologically later flat butted cordate "bout coupe" which could indeed be associated with the Lower Palaeolithic material or could be a Late Middle Palaeolithic example included due to the confused excavation history, (S22).
Jacobi (S21) notes a Terminal Palaeolithic Bruised Blade from "High Lodge Hill" in Liverpool Museum and a "Wangford type" (Mesolithic?) convex scraper from High Lodge. He places the blade find spot close to "High Lodge" in Eriswell. However the "hill" strongley suggests the more famous "high Lodge" in Mildenhall Parish.
No further details found in Ipswich Museum Accession registers September 2020.
- <S1> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. Victoria County History, Suffolk (VCH). Sturge W A, 235-238, 242-246.
- <S2> SSF55969 Article in serial: Owles, E. & Smedley, N.. 1963. Archaeology in Suffolk, 1963. XXIX 3.
- <S3> SSF55953 Article in serial: Owles, E. J. and N. Smedley. 1966. Archaeology in Suffolk, 1966. XXX.3, pp. 275–283..
- <S4> SSF55956 Article in serial: Owles, E. & Smedley, N.. Archaeology in Suffolk, 1967.
- <S5> SSF11441 Bibliographic reference: Moir J R. 1927. The Antiquity of Man in East Anglia.
- <S6> SSF50084 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J.. 1985. Palaeolithic Sites of East Anglia.
- <S7> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1948-72, 1948; 1929-75; 1927-82; 1927-82.1-19, 1929-130.
- <S8> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XI, 93.
- <S9> SSF55351 Article in serial: Martin, E.A., Pendleton, C. & Plouviez, J.. 1989. Archaeology in Suffolk 1988. XXXVII (1).
- <S10> SSF50361 Unpublished document: Pendleton, C. and Sommers, M.. 1998. Rapid Earthwork Identification Survey for Forest Enterprise.
- <S11> SSF59351 Digital archive: Wymer, J.J.. 1999. The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPs) The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPS). 22879.
- <S12> SSF56339 Bibliographic reference: Pettitt, P.B. & White, M.J.. 2012. The British Palaeolithic: Human Societies at the Edge of the Pleistocene World. 121.
- <S13> SSF59423 Article in serial: White, M.J. & Ashton, N; Bridgland.. 2019. Twisted Handaxes in Middle Pleistocene Britain and their Implications for Regional-scale Cultural Variation and the Deep History of Acheulean Hominin Groups.
- <S14> SSF21387 Bibliographic reference: Smith, R.A. 1931. Sturge Collection.
- <S14> SSF59580 Bibliographic reference: N. M. Ashton, J. Cook, S. G. Lewis and J. Rose, (eds). 1992. High Lodge. Excavations by G. de G. Sieveking 1962–1968 and J. Cook 1988.
- <S15> SSF17674 Bibliographic reference: Roe, Derek.. 1968. A Gazetteer of British Lower & Middle Palaeolithic sites.
- <S16> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volume.
- <S16> SSF7309 Article in serial: Harrison K. 1938. A Note on High Lodge, Mildenhall. Harrison K, `A Note on High Lodge, Mildenhall', PPS, 4, 1938, 326-328.
- <S17> SSF6813 Article in serial: Whitaker et al. 1891. The Geology of parts of Cambridgeshire & of Suffolk.
- <S18> SSF10794 Article in serial: Marr, J.E., Smith, R.A. & Moir, J.R.#. 1919-1922. Excavations at High Lodge, Mildenhall in 1920. Marr J E, Smith R A & Moir J R, `Excavations at High Lodge, Mildenhall in 1920', PPSEA, 3, 1919-1922.
- <S19> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL77NW29.
- <S20> SSF6117 Bibliographic reference: Evans, J.. 1897. The Ancient Stone implements, weapons and ornaments of Great Britain.
- <S21> SSF59353 Digital archive: Jacobi, R.. 2014. Palaeolithic and Mesolithic Lithic Artefact (PaMELA) database. 277, 11426.
- <S22> SSF56333 Unpublished document: Cutler, Hannah. 2013. Understanding Late Middle Palaeolithic Neandertal Landscape-use during Short-Term Occupations in Britain.
- <S23> SSF55365 Article in serial: Martin, E.A., Pendleton, C. & Plouviez, J.. 2003. Archaeology in Suffolk 2002. XXXX (3).
- FSF23684: OVATE HANDAXE (MIS13 - 531000 BC? to 476000 BC?)
- FSF23685: HANDAXE (MIS13 - 531000 BC? to 476000 BC?)
- FSF23686: ANIMAL REMAINS (MIS13 - 531000 BC? to 476000 BC?)
- FSF50798: INSECT REMAINS (MIS13 - 531000 BC? to 476000 BC?)
- FSF50799: POLLEN (MIS13 - 531000 BC? to 476000 BC?)
- FSF50800: PLANT MICRO REMAINS (MIS13 - 531000 BC? to 476000 BC?)
- FSF50801: CORDATE HANDAXE (MIS13 - 531000 BC? to 476000 BC?)
- FSF50802: POINTED HANDAXE (MIS13 - 531000 BC? to 476000 BC?)
- FSF50803: SUB CORDATE HANDAXE (MIS13 - 531000 BC? to 476000 BC?)
- FSF50804: SCRAPER (TOOL) (MIS13 - 531000 BC? to 476000 BC?)
- FSF50805: SIDE SCRAPER (MIS13 - 531000 BC? to 476000 BC?)
- FSF50806: END SCRAPER (MIS13 - 531000 BC? to 476000 BC?)
- FSF50807: DENTICULATE (MIS13 - 531000 BC? to 476000 BC?)
- FSF50808: FLAKE (MIS13 - 531000 BC? to 476000 BC?)
- FSF50809: CORE (MIS13 - 531000 BC? to 476000 BC?)
- FSF51617: BRUISED BLADE (Terminal Palaeolithic (Ahrensburgian, Long Blade) - 9700 BC? to 9400 BC?)
- FSF51618: SCRAPER (TOOL) (Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 4000 BC?)
- FSF52121: FLAT BUTTED CORDATE (BOUT COUPE) HANDAXE (MIS13 - 531000 BC? to 476000 BC?)
- FSF52216: TWISTED OVATE HANDAXE (MIS13 - 531000 BC to 476000 BC)
- FSF52217: RETOUCHED FLAKE (MIS13 - 531000 BC? to 476000 BC?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (6)
- Event - Interpretation: Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods (ESF26899)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation(s?), High Lodge, Mildenhall (Ref: Various) (ESF27692)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation, High Lodge, Mildenhall (Ref: British Museum, 1960s) (ESF27693)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation, High Lodge, Mildenhall (Ref: British Museum, 1988) (ESF27694)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation, High Lodge, Mildenhall (Ref: Marr et al, 1920s) (ESF27691)
- Event - Survey: Rapid Earthwork Identification Survey, Forest Enterprise, 1998 (ESF19514)
Record last edited
Jan 26 2021 2:06PM